Highways England is the government company charged with operating, maintaining and improving England’s motorways and major A roads. Formerly the Highways Agency, it became a government company in April 2015.
Highways England is a statutory consultee in the planning system and aims to be a proactive planning partner.
Their work includes the following:
- Consider the most appropriate locations for development
- Develop strong policies and proposals that are sustainable, practical and well-designed
- Make the best of opportunities around the routes under their control
- Assess potential impact on its road network
- Consider how best to deliver the development
- Minimise adverse impact
- Assess requirements for mitigation works.